Thursday, January 8, 2009

Welcome!

Hello, everyone in Cyberland.

I'm starting this blog as a method for me to jot down green news and research happening in my hometown of Mobile, Alabama. I must admit, I'm particularly new to the blog scene, but the idea to start this blog came from a combined effort between my own frustrations with the local news job market (newspaper media and otherwise), and the lack of a green publication/news source in Mobile.

The Port City has long been known as the most rapidly-growing city in the state of Alabama, yet it's been lagging in the eco-friendly ranks in terms of the United States at large.

With this blog I hope to produce some evidence of Mobile's green conscience and, hopefully, send the message that we care as much about our environment as we do about our lovely city. Efforts along the Alabama Gulf Coast play an important role in conservation, not to mention the environmental research conducted by Mobile scientists on sea animals' habitats in Mobile Bay and drinking water content, to name just a few examples. There's also more domestic responsibilities I would like to see Mobile undertake: gaining a cost-efficient, accessible system for recycling in Mobile; switching to energy-efficient streetlamps and traffic lights; powering all public transit on fuels that use less (if not zero) carbon; the list goes on.

I may start out slow, as I'm only beginning to gather content, but I aim to update this blog as often as 2-3 times per week, so stay in touch!

No comments:

Post a Comment